Classes fill quickly!
Remember to book your classes as soon as possible.
Call the Booking Office on (02) 99007690.
Antenatal Childbirth & Parenting Program
This comprehensive program is designed to prepare expectant parents for labour, birth and early parenting. It is aimed at first time parents. There are two options available for these courses, depending on your preference and work commitments.
- 5 x three hour sessions from 6-9pm during the week
- 2 consecutive Saturdays, from 9am-3pm
The topics covered include:
- Getting closer to labour, stages of labour & when to go to hospital
- Understanding the concept of pain and the strategies and skills used to cope in labour
- Role of the support person & helpful ideas
- Medical approaches to labour, including induction of labour & caesarean section
- Pharmacological pain relief options available, including epidurals and other alternatives
- Characteristics of the newborn infant and their patterns of behaviour & communication
- Tests and routines while in hospital
- Classes available while in hospital
- Safe sleeping for infants/SIDS guidelines
- Transition to parenting and the associated challenges
- Perinatal anxiety and depression
- Sleep patterns of infants and settling techniques/routines
- Introduction to breastfeeding
- Special care nursery
Refresher Course for Experienced Parents
One six hour class – for many parents who have children, a refresher course is all that is required to bring them up-to-date with current birthing options and prepare them for the first few days with their new baby.
A full Saturday session, followed by a 2 hour evening session, offering expectant multiple pregnancy parent’s information on labour, birth and parenting. The classes are designed specifically to cater to the different needs of birthing and parenting more than one baby. A visit from The Multiple Birth Association is included in this program.
Antenatal Breastfeeding Classes – FREE (1.5 hour)
Conducted by a Lactation Specialist, these classes are held for mothers-to-be and their partners, to assist in understanding the requirements of breastfeeding. It is essential to book two months before your due date.
Telephone: (02) 9900 7690.