Your Rights & Responsibilities
For most people being a patient is unfamiliar and therefore it is important that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a patient. If you have any questions regarding your rights and responsibilities please ask our staff.
- To be treated with courtesy, and have your ethnic, cultural and religious beliefs respected
- To be informed about facilities and services, costs, medications used, methods of treatment and referral to other services
- To confidentiality of personal information
- To involvement in decisions about your care
- To staff who identify themselves to you
- To an explanation of treatment and its risks before giving consent
- To advice on seeking a second medical opinion
- To advice on care after discharge
- To discharge yourself at any time even against the advice of your doctor or hospital staff. However, you must accept the associated risks and sign a form taking responsibility before you leave the hospital.
- To answer questions about your health honestly and to comply with prescribed treatment
- To tell staff about any regular medication you are taking
- To make sure you understand what is said to you
- To abide by the hospital’s non-smoking policy
- To advise staff if visitors are worrying you
- To show consideration for other patients
- To treat your health care workers with respect and courtesy regardless of their cultural and ethnic background
- To check your level of cover with your health fund prior to admission.
How to make a compliment, suggestion or complaint
You are entitled to comment or complain about the services you received in hospital. If during your stay you or your family have any concerns, please direct them to the staff caring for you or the Nurse Manager. If you need to take your concern further please contact the switchboard (Dial 9) to speak to the Director of Nursing and Clinical Services or Executive Director; or use the Feedback form on this website.
You also have the right to request further follow-up by an external body including the following:
Health Care Complaints Commission
LMB 961 North Sydney 2059
02 8019 1600
We would also appreciate hearing from you if you have a
suggestion for improvement or a compliment – click here for our Feedback form.
Patient Comment Cards are available in your room, at the front desk and at Admission/Discharge desk.